Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 600d lens.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:49 am 

Hello!
I am a YouTube vlogger who is looking to upgrade in filming equipment to a DSLR. Although I have been working with cameras for around 2 years, I am only 14 years old so I am fairly new to this and need advice. I think I have chosen to purchase a Canon 600d but I do not know which lens to purchase with it! Which lens would be best do get for vlogging?
If you want to know what my videos are like my newest one is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvZhcSuTtrk

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Canon 600d lens.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:38 am 

What's your budget? If you can afford it, I'd probably recommend a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 (EF-S) -- Full disclosure: I own one myself -- because it's reasonably wide (so you can shoot with the camera relatively close to you/your subject), but still has a decent amount of zoom/reach if you need it, reasonably fast/bright (so you can shoot indoors), and reasonably priced (considering both of the aforementioned capabilities).

But if that's out of your budget, there's Canon's 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (EF-S) (STM) which is much cheaper because it's much slower/darker (so you may have problems shooting indoors without additional lights). However, the STM version of this lens does have an advantage in auto-focusing when shooting video on a 650D, not a 600D. So, if you upgrade to a 650D (which I would recommend you do, if you can afford to -- full disclosure again: I own and shoot video on a 650D), an 18-55mm STM lens would be worth considering.

Having said all of that, I would strongly recommend against shooting video on a DSLR in your case. Instead, I think you'd be much better off with a ("pro-sumer" level) camcorder.

As I've said before, most people would be - Mark