Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am 
Looking into some Of these lenses myself. I really want one that will double as a great portrait lens, with IQ as good as non macro primes. Would the 60mm be the best option for me? It'll be a little while before I can afford it but doing the research now, Inc asking here ;)

Also, what's wrong with the 85mm outside of it being no use for macro? That was recommended to me for portraiture, supposedly wicked sharp and fast - the 1.8 version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 am 

What's wrong you can read in Thomas' review on this site, he found some bad purple fringing and AF issues, but if you can live with that, its a good bang for buck for 1.8 aperture. If you dont mind aperture, but do like macro, the 60mm or 85mm DX could be your best bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:19 pm 
Hmmm, i really hate purple fringing, I'm disappointed with those results. The 60mm micro would be preferable for me, but it would be sluggish to use at a wedding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 am 

Ive had the 105mm VR for over a year now, used it a fair amount on my D80, and have never been disappointed with the results! Id really recommend it as an investment if you ever going to consider full frame, higher res, or maybe a cheap film body.
If you have the oppurtunity, invest...... :P

I do have a review and sample pics here somewhere....

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747651@N04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:37 pm 
i would go for the nikon 105mm, it's a great len, a friend of mine use it, and takes lovely pictures. And the best thing you don't have to be very close to the subject, so you will not scare it or block the sun light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm 
I would go for the 105mm 2.8 if you have to choose from both,
BUT
i had the same dilemma a month ago and finally decided to buy the Tokina 100mm 2.8.
I see why Ken Rockwell says it is at least as much or even better than the Nikon 105mm.
It is truly an amazing lens.
I've used it for a while, and I can recommend it to you!
and it's much cheaper than the Nikon.

PS: it's my only non-Nikon lens and I was a little bit skeptic buying it. Not any more.