Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Equipment purchase
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 pm 
After a long search in forums, reviews sites, etc etc, i have decided to buy the Nikon D700.

Currently i have the nikon D50, so has you can imagine i only have DX lens, except for the 50mm f1.8, so it's not good for an FX body, it doesn't make sense.

I'm considering buying the nikon 24-70, to have a "do almost anything" lens (portrait, casual pictures, landscape, etc).
I like to take portraits, a lot, specialy to people in the streets, but like most photographers i'm constantly afraid of people reaction, so i think this lens will help me to take pictures more discrete ( i could buy a 85mm, but i would get a fixed zoom lens, and i already have one).

i don't like third party trademarks, i love nikon lens, so im considiring only nikon lens.

What is your opinion on this choise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:45 pm 

24-70 on FX seems too short for street photography. What type of photos do you take in the street? For candids a longer lens could be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm 

Like WoutK89 said, you should lean towards a bigger zoom or a good pair of runners.
A lot of those people don't fire on all cylinders and may take offence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:46 pm 
i know you guys are correct, but if i take a bigger zoom i will have problems with closer subject. i know i have the 50mm, but it would be a drag to have to change lens all the time :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm 

Can’t say I agree, you can get really good results with a “quality” zoom lens. This one is with an 18-250mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:15 pm 
Yes it's not bad, but in low light it will be hard to have a quality picture.

I'm not trying to take street people pictures like a paparazzi, ihih, but i guess 70mm would be a comfortable distance to the subject.

And inside pictures the 24-70 is great, and if it gets really really dark i could use 50 f1.8.

I would rather use nikon 80-200 f2.8 for long distant portrait pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm 

*cough* 85mm F/1.8 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 pm 
If i had great resources i would buy the 85mm f1.4 G, it's a great lens, but i think i will get a mid range lens, to have a versatile fx lens, instead of a prime, maybe in the future i will get one of those.

I'm still not sure what could be the best choice for my first FX lens, that's why i was thinking in a versatile lens like 24-70

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:13 pm 
I have used the nikon 24-70 on my D700. The image quality is absolute amazing, you wont want to take that lense off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:15 am 
I have tried that lens on a D700 in a local store, and yes, it is amazing
extremely fast, and silent, and good picture quality too, ihihih.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 am 
Quote:
i'm constantly afraid of people reaction, so i think this lens will help me to take pictures more discrete

there's no such thing of discrete street photographers. because you are thinking of being a simple observer,so that's not what a street photographer is. you must blend in,you must enjoy walking in the crowd & understand the reactions of the people & be respectful in the same time. a longer lens will never allow you to take good street photos (& this fact always shows in the photos)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am 
You are correct, but i'm not saying that i would buy a telelens for street photography, that wouldn't work. I probably would use a 85mm.
with this len i don't need to be very very close to the subject.

there is a big diference on shooting in a subject face, then to be a bit more away from the subject. Being away will not intimidate as much as being close, i will not have to "breath" in his face, that's why i would choose a 85mm.

But in this case, for my first FX lens, i would like to have something more versatile, not a prime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 am 
85 is telephoto...

& I'm not saying shooting a subject in the face,you're not going to use a 24mm or something that will force you to get super close to the subject. I recommand a 50mm prime. a zoom can be more useful in some cases,but most of the times you don't have time to zoom+compose+position yourself+(eventually)set the desired aperture,so a fixed focal lens will be most eficient. still,the Nikon 24-70mm is the best 24-70 & extremly versatile for a lot of things. That will be the 1st lens I would buy as a FX owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 pm 
You are correct, 85mm is a telephoto, what i meant i would not use something like 200mm or 300mm and stay a mile away.

I already have a 50mm, but i think i made the wrong choise. I'm a person that prefers to wait, and save money and spend it in one good thing, in this case a good lens.

But in the 50mm i made an expection and i was cheep, ehehe.

I bought the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8, it's a good len, no question there, but very noisy, slow to focus, and sometimes have a hard time to focus, but still a great sharp.

i should bought the nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G, it's much better, nice background blur.

Maybe more in the future i buy other 50mm or a 35mm, maybe the 35mm is a better choise for portrait, in the next purchase i can't be cheep again, ehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm 
Don't get me wrong but, 85mm is great to shoot people in the street, and portraits