Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Another new kid
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:21 pm 

Hi all,

I'm Citruspers, known on other forums as Deathspark. In real life they call me Marijn. I'm a 17 year old student from the Netherlands.

I've been slowly getting into photography, and am right now photographing with a 6 year old 5 MP brandless camera, which yields me decent results. I'm looking to buy a EOS 40D + 17-85 EF-S IS USM, but that will set me back quite a bit, so I'll have to wait for my birthday and parents to provide some funding support.
Another camera I use is my cell phone, with a 2 MP sensor. You can laugh all you want, but the small form factor and the accesibility of a cell phone camera can get you some really original results, as well as some nice photo's if there's enough light.

You can check out my work at DeviantArt. Feel free to watch me/add me as a friend if you think I have potential, or if you just want someone to talk with about photography. I'll be sure to add you too. :)

Finally, a huge thank you to Gordon for the great work he's doing. The reviews and the site certainly made it clear to me which camera I want, as well as teach me how to use a DSLR, and what tricks to try out.

Also thanks to every single one of you forum members, your infinite wisdom, combined with my will to look around the forum certainly taught me a lot about photography. I'm pretty good with computers, so I hope I can give something back to you in the form of tech help. :)

Cheers,

Ciruspers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:08 pm 

Welkom Marijn op het forum van Camera Labs! Altijd leuk om landgenoten tegen te komen.

Back to English.
I hope you'll get a new camera soon. The difference between a compact and a DSLR is huge and defnitely worth the investment.
I see we're the same age, so I can relate to your money issues. It took me quite some time to save up for my gear so far, and it will take years longer till I've got what I'd like to have. But that's part of the fun, saving for new gear.

I might have some computer questions for you some day. Unlike you, I'm quite well informed about photography techniques and tricks, but I know close to nothing about computers. :)

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:29 pm 

Hoi Bjorn, and thanks for the warm welcome. I didn't expect to find other dutchies on this forum.

Money isn't that much of an issue for me, I work my ass off at a local supermarket, and convinced my parents to pay part of the camera for my birthday. The total price for a 40D + lens I want is around 920 euros, which is a lot, but do-able. An 8 GB fast memorycard adds 34, and a bag should add another 30-40 bucks.
But it's worth it I guess, although sometimes I hate myself for having expensive hobbies (windsurfing, computers and photography). ;)

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions you have, or add me to MSN. The more friendly and intelligent people on my list the better :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:42 pm 

Yesterday I was calculating how much I'd spend on photography since last year (18th of Februari, the day I bought my camera): €4325,-!!! :shock: I was shocked, obviously, because that's quite some money for people our age. Still, I can't wait to spend another €1500,- on a 24-70mm f/2.8 from Carl Zeiss.

One of the dangers of photography: once you're really into it, it will cost you a fortune!

There's one question, more about software than the actual hardware, but your expertise is probably good enough to answer it: On the laptop I'll buy in two weeks (click here for specs), McAfee Internet Security Suite is pre-installed. On my parents' PC we use Norton. I've heard the latter slows down any computer quite substantially. Is that true? And is it true for McAfee as well? Thanks in advance.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 pm 

That's a familiar feeling, looking back at costs. I spent ~1000 euros on surfing gear this summer, and 650 on a new PC. I did save 1400 euros by building it myself, a comparable system would have cost me 2000 euro's from Dell :shock:

About your soon to be laptop: McAfee is a pretty decent suite, but it all depends on your personal preference. Norton is widely known as "bloatware", meaning a "fat" program which slows your PC down. They have improved a lot last year, but still not enough if you ask me.

I know what i'm doing on my PC, so I tend to stay away from full-blown security suites, and only get a core program that does one thing: antivirus. I don't need a program which warns me of spam sites, spyware (the default windows defender is good enough), and acts as a firewall.

It all depends on your needs really. Do you want the full suite just to be sure, or can you handle yourself online and just use a basic antivirus.

If you choose the latter, I can highly recommend NOD32. It's an extremely fast antivirus, used by techies all around the world.

If you want a full suite, and aren't happy with McAfee, I can recommend ESET Smart Security (same company that makes NOD32), although it has received mixed reviews, it's still a good program that does not bug you as much, and does not impact performance in a noticable way.

http://www.nod32.nl/purchase/home/

However, NOD32 costs money. the antivirus+antispyware edition (which is all you need if you know what you're doing) will set you back 36 euro's a year. There is of course the illegal way, but that's.....illegal ;)

It's all about what you want Bjorn :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:31 pm 

Thanks Marijn! I would like a complete suite since that will make me feel more secure on the web. I've had to deal with serious computer problems due to virusses and spyware already, and I'd like to stay away from that as much as possible. The advantage of Norton at the moment is that my parents buy it every year, and I'll be able to install the same suite on my laptop for no or very little money. I'd have to buy McAfee myself, but after a quick check, it seems to be less expensive than the Norton software.

Thanks again! I think I'll try the McAfee software first, and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I might just come back to you.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:53 pm 
Hi & Hello warm welcome Cameralabs Marijn!

Hope that you will get the nice DSLR & I'm very impress with your Computer set up is way too awesome & cool 8) Take your time & enjoy staying at Cameralabs forum :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm 

Thank you, Lolita Love Photography :)

Of course, my tech help offer applies to you too ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board Marijn! Don't forget our monthly assignment section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Welcome on-board Marijn! Don't forget our monthly assignment section!

I won't! I'm still kind of recovering from the flu, but I'll see what I can do :)
Too bad the submissions can only be from this month, I have a cool HDR picture where tension would be a great description ;)

This one just screams tension, like there's a storm coming or something: